Research on Board Assessment Frameworks

• 17 Jul 2018 8:43 AM
    Message # 6385011

I am currently conducting some research on board assessment frameworks that are currently being used by regulators. Specifically, I am undertaking a review of our current assessment framework and determining if there are alternative processes for developing more useful results that could demonstrate an increased accountability of our board members.

Questions for your consideration:

•  If your board currently has a board assessment framework, what is it, do the results feed into educational needs,  appointments etc., what mechanism do you use i.e. electronic surveys, phone meetings etc.
    • What works and what doesn’t? Have you experienced any reluctance to participate from board members?
    • How useful is the information that you receive? Does the framework increase their accountability? 
    • Does the evaluation contain a peer and self evaluation? Is the feedback honest and thoughtful?
    • How are the results of the evaluation managed and who has access to the results?
    • How are the results shared with individual board members, are the results shared at an aggregate level with the board?
    Last modified: 17 Jul 2018 8:43 AM | Elicia Persaud
  • 18 Jul 2018 10:13 AM
    Reply # 6387119 on 6385011

Hi Elicia, 

I'm not sure this answers all your questions, but we had an outstanding Winter Symposium this year that addressed board management.  One of the speakers, Bob Arciniaga with Advisory Board Architects provided the attached tool.  Hope it helps!

• 18 Jul 2018 11:26 AM
    Reply # 6387265 on 6385011

You should investigate the Canadian Society of Association Executives (http://www.csae.com/) - they have some amazing tools and their conference this year has a lot of Board development resources.

Our board does use board assessment (via a survey) they are not doing assessment after every meeting,which will be my aspiration, as well as layering in self assessment tools.  But the level of assessment they are currently using is really amazing and instructive in terms of development opportunities.

We focus at least one meeting a year on Board development and I typically send along additional reading resources and tools with every board package.

This is a bit of a passion for me both as a CAE and as someone who has taught board leadership and governance over the years.

Good Luck 

Gemma

Home  |  About  |  Membership  |  Resources  |  CLEAR Learning  |  Awards  | Events
Join  |  Contact  |  Login  |  eNews SignupCommunities by CLEAR

Copyright © 2019 CLEAR
Please read the following disclaimer.  |  
Website by Nicasio LLC and CLEAR
108 Wind Haven Dr., Ste. A
Nicholasville, KY 40356
(859) 269-1289
Fax: (859) 231-1943